Also known as CISM, the programme helps identify the impact of an incident or an accident on an individual. In the modern world, its effectiveness depends on the qualification of peers and support by people in critical incident stress management training in 2021.
A critical incident can be defined as a sudden crisis that leads to an acute emotional reaction. In today’s pandemic-affected world, workplaces crises are more frequent than ever before. Workplace shootings, hostage situations, and natural disasters are some of the most common causes associated with workplace critical incident stress. Apart from that, pandemics like COVID-19 can affect a big group of people in an organization.
Sometimes, these situations are handled by people on their own, but some disasters are hard to tackle alone. It is where a CISM programme comes into play.
What is Critical Incident Stress Management (CISM)
It is a powerful approach that helps individuals handle the emotional and psychological impacts caused by a crisis. It has been decades since the intervention program was introduced in organizations worldwide.
Through CISM, peers provide mental health support to an individual going through a crisis. The approach is considered compressive due to its range of key components, which are used during the different stages of the incident stress management programme.
Another reason the approach is comprehensive: It may include one person, a small group of individuals, a large group, and a whole organization.
Core Components of CISM
The modern-day programme of critical incident stress management training 2021 can have a wide range of core components. They include:
- Pre-crisis information: It involves stress management, information on a crisis, and planning.
- Strategic planning: This component deals with structured opportunities to discuss a crisis and its processing.
- Consultation: In this component, experts consult with an individual or group of people who require help.
- Briefings: Also known as Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, or CISD, this part of the intervention system mitigates stress and determines the need for further treatment.
- Defusing: It is a three-phase technique that is provided within hours of an incident.
- Other components: They include 1-on-1 sessions and crisis intervention, follow-up sessions.
How Does CISM Work
The core agenda of the programme is to prevent the damaging consequences on an individual associated with stressful incidents, also known as critical incidents. During the approach, experts also provide support to those who are at risk of crisis.
According to its creators and providers, the approach may seem like psychotherapy, but it is unique in many ways. It is a support system that:
- Helps limit the emotional and mental impacts of a critical incident
- Assists in normalizing reactions to an incident
- Encourages positive, natural recovery
- Restores the skills of an individual
- Offers additional support
In the End
The intervention system plays a key role in normalizing an incident while preserving the skills of people who experience critical incidents. Do you want to know more about it or require critical incident stress management training in 2021? Reach us now!
1 thought on “Critical Incident Stress Management Training 2021: Working And Key Components”
Pingback: Critical Incident Stress Management Training: How Does It Help